Re: 1.5.21-1: sshd occasionally fails to start

On 11/17/06, Igor Peshansky <> wrote:
Ugh, top-posting... Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

> > Tom Mount wrote:
> > > How did you come up with that directory name? I searched through the
> > > output file I posted and couldn't find it. I also ran a search on
> > > that computer for any and all cygwin1.dll files - I probably should
> > > have mentioned right off the bat that that's the first thing I do
> > > when I can't start the sshd service. I can't find
> > > c:/tools/foundstone, and I can't find any other cygwin1.dll files on
> > > the system.
> >
> > Hm, I guess that's why it looked *so* familiar.  Yours didn't
> > overwrite the last one I viewed. :-(
> >
> > Are you sure tcpip is starting up in a timely manner?  If it's not,
> > 'sshd' won't either.
>
> For kicks I shut down the sshd process and attempted to start it right
> back up. No dice. Here's the output from my bash window:
>
> Tmount@CS8664 ~
> $ cygrunsrv -Q tcpip
> Service             : tcpip
> Display name        : TCP/IP Protocol Driver
> Description         : TCP/IP Protocol Driver
> Current State       : Running
> Controls Accepted   : Stop
>
> Tmount@CS8664 ~
> $ net start sshd
> The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
> The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.
>
> A system error has occurred.
>
> System error 1067 has occurred.
>
> The process terminated unexpectedly.
>

> Tmount@CS8664 ~
> $ cygrunsrv -S sshd
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
> The service has not been started.

Do you have any extra information in the Event Log or in
/var/log/sshd.log?
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_            pechtcha@ | igor@
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'           old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL     a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

sshd.log is empty. 0 bytes. In the even log I have errors like "The CYGWIN sshd service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 15 time(s)." These errors follow information entries like "The CYGWIN sshd service was successfully sent a start control." Earlier in the morning before I started messing with this, I got the following information entry: "The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{84D85DA7-3BDE-4091-9024-B1AA02CDDEB5} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter." I point that out because the source was "Tcpip."

I'm wondering why sshd.log would be empty and if that means anything
for this problem. The SYSTEM user is the owner of the file, and it's
got full control minus execute permissions. The service is being run
by the local system account, so it should be able to interact with
that log file, right?