Re: Cygwin util replacing win-util for UCS-2 -> UTF-8; utf8 support (redux)

Linda Walsh wrote:

> Right now, to convert an NT text file in UCS-2 format, in bash,
> I use:
>
> mode.com codepage select=65001
> reg export hklm\\software hklm-sw.reg5
> cmd /c type hklm-sw.reg5  > hklm-sw-utf8.txt

Yuck.  Why don't you just use iconv instead?

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2006-q3/msg00014.html>

> It's troublesome to have filenames that are valid under
> windows be inaccessible with cygwin utils (like rsync).
> It's a pain that I can't rsync my music directory (which
> contains World-beat music) to my mp3 player without getting
> multiple "file not found" errors. (due to rsync not
> understanding International filenames).

This is unfortunate, I agree, but the problem is that switching
everything to the wide-character version of the win32 APIs is a
significant undertaking, as you can read in the above thread.

Brian