Possible Cygwin1.dll problem

Hi dear Igor Peshansky,

I have one simple question. When anyone of you runs 'bash' or any Cygwin shell
and changes to a CD or floppy (with 'cd /cygdrive/e' or whatever) does
command 'ls /tmp' give you any error refusing to work? Please don't advise to
reinstall it all not even bothering to take a look. Just check it, it's not
very hard.

If it's so, you probably have some bugs in your main cygwin1.dll, concerning
automounting of '/'. If not, I'm sorry, that's my strange way of installation.

I cannot agree with you, Igor, about having to install via setup.exe. Your
POSIX/ANSI LIBC library should work not only with Cygwin packages but also
with other third party programs regardless of whether they use any installer
or distributed as an archive.

E.g. I've tried Infra Recorder (http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/) and
CDRTools Front-End (cdrtfe, http://home.arcor.de/kerberos002/). They are both
under GPL, use cygwin1.dll and have their own installer. Do they need your
setup.exe? It's funny.

I'm also surprised that you still haven't cdrtools and dvdrwtools packages in
your Cygwin release lists. One can find cdrtools compiled with Cygwin at
http://www.geoshock.com/cdrtools/
and dvdrwtools compiled with MinGW (which is apparently compatible) at
http://fy.chalmers.se/%7Eappro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/win32/. Are you guys CD/DVD
phobic? These are important packages.

>From my experience having multiple instances of Cygwin1.dll is a problem only
when they have different versions. When they do I have a message telling me to
delete old ones. I don't have such a message on my system and everything works
(or doesn't) the same, still I have multiple instances of  Cygwin1.dll of the
same version. Cygwin packages are not the only ones who use this library, I
don't want to copy it to every third party program folder.

It would be nice to add mpg123 (used by Midnight Commander) to your packages
list, there're no patent limitations about decoding mp3: Debian Linux has
both mpg123 and mpg321 in their most open distributions.

By the way, it would be great to make a note in your setup.hint files telling
where some libraries reside when it's not apparent. I've spent some time
trying to find libintl* libraries. How could I know they're in gettext
folder?

Thank you,

Bye,
Ruslan Fedyarov

Ð ÑÐÐÐÑÐÐÐÐ ÐÑ ÐÑÐÑÐÐÐ 7 ÐÐÑÐÑÑ 2006 18:35 Igor Peshansky ÐÐÐÐÑÐÐ(a):