Re: Mount command warning with latest cygwin1.dll snapshot

Karl M wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Karl M wrote:
I just tried out the latest snapshot and my bat file to clean up my mounts now gives warning messages. The current released version of cygwin1.dll does not produce the warnings.

Z:\>C:\Cygwin\bin\mount -f -s -b C:/Cygwin /
cygwin warning:
MS-DOS style path detected: Z:\
Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /z
CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

This looks like something is going wrong when running Cygwin programs ('mount', at least) from a DOS prompt. Does this produce any output?

Z:\> C:\Cygwin\bin\env | C:\Cygwin\bin\grep Z:

Yes. It shows my HOMEDRIVE environment variable.

Huh, Cygwin shouldn't care about that AFAIK. I might be wrong, but your later test does seem to point at $PWD/getcwd() as the culprit.

What happens if you run the file from a different directory? Does the warning always reflect the current directory?

Try a smaller and simple test. Type "mount -m" and look at the output.

$ mount -m
mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin" "/"
mount -s -t --change-cygdrive-prefix "/"

The above is my output from "mount -m". Now type the mount command for the Cygwin root, in my case

$ mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin" "/"
cygwin warning:
MS-DOS style path detected: C:\Cygwin
Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /
CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

Huh. This was from a bash shell this time? It looks like 'mount' with some set of those particular options is tripping this erroneously.

WCTS I have no idea why that would be. I am hoping someone more familiar with 'mount' (Corinna, maybe?) will jump in here with some ideas (or you could CTS yourself?).

Reverting to the released cygwin1.dll eliminates the warning.

Probably because the current cygwin1.dll does not have this warning?

--
Matthew
"Try to bring it back in one piece this time." -- Q (MI6)