Re: sh files

Please avoid http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU - reformatting accordingly.

> Eric Blake-1 wrote:
> According to dubcek on 10/29/2006 12:59 PM:
>> different
> What are the failure symptoms?  Without any further details, my guess is
> that you have CRLF line endings, but a binary mount.

According to dubcek on 11/4/2006 6:58 AM:
> Hi Eric,
> Here I am again. None of the answers that I received to my query were
> helpful.
> However, suddenly I thought that I did not mention one symptom which may be
> related to my problem and which might help solve the problem.
> In my previoius cygwin version where everything worked perfectly, whenever I
> wanted to have access to a file, I could use the command:
>
> cd ~/ followed by the path where the file was loicated.

Please don't describe the problem, but show an actual screen capture (copy
and paste the text, don't attach a graphical screenshot) of what you typed
and what error you got.  Saying it doesn't work is useless for us in
figuring out why it doesn't work.  Showing HOW it doesn't work is MUCH better.

> But in the new cygwin version, the machine does not recognize the ~
> directory. So, instead I know write the
> cd c:/ followed by the path ...
> (That works). But that is not the way it should be.

Indeed.  'cd /cygdrive/c/' is better than 'cd c:/'.

> Can you do anything with that symptom that may also solve the bash problem

In bash, ~/ is equivalent to "$HOME/".  What is $HOME set to?  Try 'echo
$HOME', as well as 'printf "$HOME" | od -c', to make sure it has a sane
value and that \r hasn't snuck in somewhere.  If my original guess is
correct, then there is still a possibility that one of your startup
scripts has CRLF line endings, lives on a binary mount, and assigns the
variable HOME.   The default /etc/profile installed by cygwin does not
change the value of HOME, but perhaps you have installed one of your own
startup scripts that does so.  You can use 'bash -vxli' to see a verbose
listing of everything bash does at startup, to try and figure out where
HOME is being reset.

But until you follow directions:

and include 'cygcheck -svr' output as an attachment, these are only guesses.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net