Re: gunzip 1.3.5 error reading from stdin on Cygwin

(added cc: to zsh-workers.  The original message can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg73620.html )

Vin Shelton wrote:
After upgrading my system this morning, I'm getting an error running
gunzip when it reads from stdin.

Steps to reproduce:

    wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gmp/gmp-4.2.1.tar.gz
    gunzip < gmp-4.2.1.tar.gz >/dev/null

This sequence yields the following errors:

gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error

Interestingly,

gunzip gmp-4.2.1.tar.gz

works.

I've narrowed this down a little bit. It only happens under zsh; under bash, the recipe works without error. Thinkging that for some reason, stdin was being opened in a text mode, I tried setting CYGWIN=binmode before starting zsh, but that had no effect on this problem.

I believe the upgrade that broke this was the most recent
gettext/libintl upgrade.  In order to link against the most recent
libintl, I have rebuilt zsh from source (both from the cygwin source
tarball and also from the latest zsh sources in CVS), but still the
problem persists.

I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks,
 Vin

--
The Journey by Mary Oliver