Re: ping: recvfrom: Invalid argument (cygwin-1.5.21 on Win XP SP2)

On Oct 20 14:42, Siegmar Gross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "ping" doesn't work for a normal user. Although this problem was reported
> several times, I couldn't find a solution. Therefore I try once more with
> additional information (at least I haven't seen some of my info in the
> other mails).
>
> When I login as Administrator everything is fine (was reported in other
> mails as well).
> [...]

Sorry to say that but it's not new.  The Cygwin ping uses raw ip, which
is only available to admins.  Normal users shouldn't use /bin/ping or
/usr/bin/ping, but `cygpath -u $SYSTEMROOT`/system32/ping instead.

> Now something new. A normal user can use "ping" from windows without
> problems, so that in my opinion it is not a general problem for a
> user.

That's because a native Windows user calls ping from $SYSTEMROOT\system32.

Corinna

Red Hat