Re: 'fhandler_dev_zero::fixup_mmap_after_fork' problems.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your comments....

On 10/17/06, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
On 17 October 2006 13:17, Simon Mullis wrote:

> I've been a happy Cygwin user for a years now with no issue.  Recently
> (last few months) I've started having many problems with a variety of
> apps.

What did you install just before it all went wrong?

It's a new laptop... I assumed that this was an issue purely with Cygwin or my base OS and not related to either the Windows apps I have or the hardware spec of the system. I agree this is a good place to start though.

> Because of the number of apps with which I have an issue I
> suspect it might be an issue with the cygwin DLL and memory allocation
> after forking.

  Well, that plus all the references to memory allocation and forking in the
error messages!

Haha - fair enough!

> I've spent a fair amount of time Googling for a solution and although
> I've found a number of people with a similar issue I've not found
> anything yet.
>
> So my questions:
>
> - Is this the right group to ask this in?

Yep.

> - Is this a known issue?

  It's a common failure mode but there can be numerous disparate underlying
causes.

> - Is it my environment?  I've tried a complete re-install with no
> change.  I've tried recent CVS builds of the cygwin DLL with no luck.
> - Is it related to my system? (Thinkpad T43 with 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro
> SP2).
> - I've also tried adding the reg key heap_chunk_in_mb
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin) (as a DWORD).
> I've
> tried setting this to 256, 512 and 768 MB.  No success here either.
> - No amount of 'rebase'-ing seems to have helped either.
>
> Any pointers, comments or suggestion would be really, really appreciated.

This is the point at which I usually say ...

"  Disable the "Logitech Process Monitor" service associated with your webcam?
Uninstall Agnitum Outpost?  Disable McAffee's buffer overflow protection
feature?  "

I'll start "turning stuff off" and see where I get. I'll report any success back to this group.

    cheers,
      DaveK

Simon Mullis