Re: emacs hangs at start, or sometime later

Eric Twietmeyer <ept <at> terrex.com> writes:

> > I am having some problems with my emacs. I have 21.2-13
> > installed, and recently it started locking up after some
> > time, from ~1 hour to 3-4 hours. The window would not
> > repaint. The emacs process usage goes up to 50%, then close
> > to 100%, until the process is killed.
>
> -Eric

I was having random hangs with emacs on my Windows XP Pro desktop. I traced
the problem to a bug in my keyboard driver. After logging out, when I log back
in I have to reset the repeat rate via Control Panel. I found that if I used a
constant cursor in emacs instead of the blinking cursor, then emacs worked
fine and stopped hanging. The line

(blink-cursor-mode 0)                   ; Constant cursor

in my .emacs file fixed my problem. Strange.

-Peter