Re: 1.5.21: problem with xinetd permissions

well, I've allso changed permissions for user "eran" and it still doesnt work - I must mention that in the past I didnt have to change permissions or do anything special for making it work and it did work for me.
I suspect that something during istallation has changed that make this problem occur

still waiting for suggestions
Thanks
Eran

Tim Beuman wrote:
You are trying to start xinetd from user erin, which has no write permission on /var/lock/subsys (only read & execute). chmod 777 /var/lock/subsys would probably help.

Tim

Eran Cohanim wrote:

Hi,

I have been trying to setup xinetd in my windows xp pro computer under cygwin with no luck
(tried that in 3 different computers with the same result)
(I must mention that I did it in the past with success - had to redo it because of new installed OS
and new installed cygwin)

now from some reason I cant and the error I get is:

$ /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start
Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/xinetd': Permission denied

$ ls -la /var/lock/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x+ 3 SYSTEM root  0 Oct 12 20:05 .
drwxrwx---+ 9 eran   Users 0 Oct 12 20:05 ..
drwxr-xr-x+ 2 SYSTEM root  0 Oct 13 12:06 subsys

I installed all the neccesary packages for making it work

$ cygcheck -c | egrep "sysvinit|initscript|chkconfig|xinetd"
chkconfig               1.2.24h-1          OK
initscripts             0.9-1              OK
sysvinit                2.84-4             OK
xinetd                  2.3.9-1            OK

and after that run:

init-config (answered no at both questions - tried even with yes answer on both questions)
xinetd-config (answered yes on both questions)

now I see all the relevant port listening but if I try them is say the below

$ netstat -aon | grep 23
TCP 0.0.0.0:23 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 3252

$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 172.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I've searched for that problem in your newsgroups and found the below link (that was long time ago - see the date)

please let me know how can i fix this thanks ahead

Eran Cohanim