bash 3.1.18 seems seriously broken

What changed from bash 3.1.17 to 3.1.18 ?

I blindly performed a cygwin update, rebooted, and attempted startx.
X came up OK but the terminals would not respond to keyboard input.
Looking at the output of startx it became apparent something was
seriously wrong with /bin/sh (/bin/bash).

I got syntax errors on blank lines.

I also found, by adding little debugging stuff, like 'ls $XAPPLRESDIR',
that the shell was quoting env variables.  I was getting "no such file
or directory" on valid paths because the shell was including single
quotes around the path.  At least that's what it looked like.

Really odd.  I solved the problem by reverting to bash 3.1.17.
--
Larry Breyer
UCSD Computer Science