Re: REG : Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:00:50PM +0530, Syam Prasad Nagabairu wrote:

>HI to ALL,
>
>I am working on HP system with XP OS.The problem is, while running a gdb
>debugger the following error occured.
>Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>0x77c47631 in msvcrt!memset ()
>

>Generally the previous errors of the same kind will display the source file
>and the location where it is occuring. But this is a specific issue with
>which i am facing trouble.

If you're receiving this error, then you probably are not debugging a cygwin
program since Cygwin doesn't use msvcrt.

It is possible that the 'bt' command will provide you with a stack
trace.  However, in Windows, stack traces are often problematic since
most of the system DLLs do not preserve the frame pointer and gdb does
not deal with that very well.  So, you can't always trust a back trace
when it originates in a system function like memset.

cgf