1.5.21: gcc doesn't compile, make gives simple error

Hello,

I'm new in Cygwin, sorry for the stupid question. (and so, I'm not an
expert winxp user...)

I downloaded Cygwin from net, with setup.exe. I start it, and copy a
project to my home dir: C:\cygwin\home\airween\src\Ident. It's a
simple ident-daemon, what has binary format, but I need to modify the
source, and recompile it.

When I try to run 'make' command in project dir, I get this:

$ make
gcc -O3 -DCYGWIN32 -Wall -c identd.c
make: *** [identd.o] Error 1

and nothing more.

Ok, I copy and paste the gcc cmd line, and try other way:
$ gcc -O3 -DCYGWIN32 -Wall -c identd.c

also nothing, but in this case I don't get any error message, and gcc
doesn't make .o file.

Hmm, look this:

$ cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>

int
main()
{
 printf ("Hello World\n");
 return 0;
}

$ gcc test.c

... and _nothing_...
No error message, no a.out (or any) file(s)...

What's wrong? What I miss?

thank you:

a.