Re: no message or dialog when a DLL is missing

Shankar Unni wrote:
Pierre Baillargeon wrote:
Thanks for the information. I will not submit a patch because I suspect the current behavior is prefered by the majority: having a dialog pop-up in the middle of scripts is much more catastrophic is most case than having a return code, for unattended processing. So I expect the patch to be badly received by end users.

Perhaps the right thing would be for "somebody" to emit an error (read on).

On Linux, etc., when a shared library is missing at runtime, any attempt to execute a binary depending on it will get an error like:

% /usr/bin/xvidtime
/usr/bin/xvidtune: error while loading shared libraries: libXdmcp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm pretty this message is coming directly from (in this case) ld-linux.so (the "DLL loader" on linux).

If Cygwin is intercepting the equivalent exception on Windows, perhaps a possible compromise would be for cygwin1.dll to emit such an error to stderr?

That would be my vote as well; failing with return code 128 is far less helpful, and printing to "stderr" (or whatever is eating off that pipe) is much more script-friendly than a GUI pop-up.

At any rate, I've seen '128's before.

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. --Badtech