Windows XP network lockup, when using rsync

Hi all,

I have installed the latest version of Cygwin to a WinXP machine (with 10/100
Mbps builtin Ethernet) and to an older Win2000 machine (with 10 Mbps CardBus
i/f) and am working on the rsync source to add Win32 native backup/restore of
the security info.

*Every* time that I run rsync, both the Cygwin default 2.6.6 version and my
2.6.9cvs patched version, rsync failes to complete a transfer from WinXP to
Win2000 and reports that the other end disconnected.

With 100% success rate, WinXP is subsequently unable to: ping, browse
internet, respond to ping, ipconfig /renew..., in fact all networking fails
and the machine hangs in attempting to hibernate and mostly hangs in
attempting to shutdown.

I had had *no* problems, at all, prior to attempting to use rsync !

Has anyone else had similar experiences ?

The sending machine is an Evesham laptop X86_64 running the standard 32-bit
WinXP Professional, updated to the latest patches from MS as of two days ago
(which didn't fix anything).

The receiving machine is an ancient Tecra laptop 120MHz 144Mb machine running
Win2000, which hasn't had any problems (so far).

Cheers,

Howard Thomson

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein