Re: copying and pasting in the terminal window?

    >> For Emacs users, the keyboard is somewhat better: various
    >> combinations of keys that include Escape actually get sent to
    >> Emacs.  I forget which though.

    Igor> Ctrl-C and Ctrl-Space.  But you can achieve the same effect
    Igor> by adding "tty" to $CYGWIN, at which point the differences
    Igor> between rxvt and Console really do become a matter of taste

I'm 95% sure that there are other combinations that indeed work better
with rxvt, but frankly I'm too lazy to find out what they are.  I
don't use Cygwin Emacs anyway (I use Win32 emacs, with Cygwin's bash,
find, rm, cp, etc.)

    Igor> FWIW, my main gripe with Console is that it doesn't
    Igor> understand line wrapping, so cutting and pasting a line that
    Igor> wraps multiple times results in multiple lines.

Yup.  And as far as I know, there's no way to tell the console "please
save the accumulated scrollback into a file".  But then I don't think
rxvt can do that either :-)

    Igor> But I constantly run an X server and use xterms instead of
    Igor> rxvt

I almost never run Cygwin X.  Years ago when I tried, it was fairly
unstable.  I'm sure it's better now, but ... habit.

    Igor> > --
    Igor> > Paul Graham is right.
    Igor> >         --Shriram Krishnamurthi
    Igor>
    Igor> Points on the nice inside joke here, though. :-)

Funny, I just deleted that entry from my quotes file -- I thought it
was both too obscure, and too sycophantic :-)

--
Two degrees in be-bop, a Ph.D. in swing
        -- Lowell George, Fred Martin