Re: copying and pasting in the terminal window?

John Salerno wrote:
> Hi everyone. I just installed cygwin on WinXP and I'm wondering if there
> is a way to copy and paste in the command prompt, like in Linux? I
> figured the cygwin terminal would look and act more like the bash shell,
> but so far it doesn't for me. Does this mean I'm still using a DOS
> prompt? (Despite the $ prompt instead of C:\)?

It's not a DOS prompt, but Windows' wonderful console window :-) Windows has
two basic types of programs: 'console' and 'GUI'. Console processes are run
inside a console window, and GUI programs (usually) create their own windows.

Unfortunately, Windows' console is braindead compared to Linux terminals. In a
regular console window, you can click on the icon (or press ALT+SPACE) to
bring up the menu. 'Edit' submenu has mark/copy/paste operations.

I'm not sure, but I think Cygwin's rxvt is better. You could also try running
xterm (you'll have to install Cygwin/X)

Warning: Shameless advertisement follows!!

You could also try my project: Console. It's a free console front-end with
some nice eye candy (multiple tabs, custom fonts, alpha transparency, text
editor-like select, copy, paste, etc). It can run any shell you like (cmd.exe,
4NT, bash)

It's hosted on SourceForge, try the latest v2 beta (not demo!)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

--
Marko
ICQ: 5990814

I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol
that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get.