Re: running cygwin from file server

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 01:49:43PM -1000, Richard Foulk wrote:
>Aloha,
>
>I've installed Cygwin on a file server common to a large number of
>clients.  This allows various tools and scripts to be run on any
>of the clients without cluttering them with their own installations.
>
>Occasionally it would be nice to obtain a quick interactive shell
>environment on one of the clients, including having /tmp, /etc and
>others in place on the server partition.  Preferrably without leaving
>a lasting trace on the client.  Perhaps by invoking a single batch file
>from the server partition.
>
>Is there a quick, easy, or already done, way of doing this?

You could just write a .bat file which used the "mount" command
to point /tmp and / to appropriate places, run bash, and then
umount those settings after bash was run, e.g.:

  mount -u -f -b c:\windows\temp /tmp
  mount -u -f -b \\file\server\cygwin /
  bash
  umount -u /tmp
  umount -u /

It actually would be possible, without too much work, to make a
"transient" type of mount which would not show up in the registry but
only exists as long as a user is using cygwin.  I might discuss this
with Corinna to see if that's something worth pursuing.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com