Re: Installation from hardisk, is it possible?

steven woody wrote:
hi,

i am going to install a copy of cygwin in my notebook, but for some
reasons the computer can not access internet, so i think i have to
download a full suites of installation files on to my desktop computer
and then transfer them to the notebook before i can install from
there. is it possible and how?  thanks.

Because my old Pentium W98SE computer doesn't have enough hard disk space to hold the cygwin setup files, I do it this way:

- download the latest cygwin setup file to your desktop computer. (I've tried installing cygwin over the network. Although setup can see the remote folder, it won't accept a pathname that doesn't start with a drive letter.)
- use it to download the cygwin files to your HD in its own folder (cygwin setup.exe gives the choice of downloading files to HD, installing cygwin from the Internet or installing cygwin from HD)
- burn the cygwin folder to CD or preferably DVD, whatever your laptop has (there is apparently over 1 Gb of cygwin files. However if you download the default cygwin files it should fit on a CD.)
- make sure the setup.exe file is on the CD
- put the cygwin CD in the laptop and copy the setup file only to its own folder on the HD
- you should now be able to run the setup program off the laptop HD, point it at the CD cygwin folder and install cygwin as per usual
- presumably this would also work with a large USB memory stick, but I can't try it.