Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

At 04:24 PM 8/21/2006, Chris Taylor wrote:

>Actually, Dave does have the nub of it. His assertions are accurate in your case.
>
>There have been many messages to this list, as well as the release note that specifically mentioned that MSDOS paths were no longer supported.
>Given that these _were not_ a part of official Make, but were instead implemented by patches maintained by cgf, it's not unreasonable for the maintainer to say enough is enough.
>Even more so given that cygwin is for giving you POSIX functions in windows.. DOS paths have no relevance in a POSIX environment. The underlying OS isn't relevant.

Do you know what is in the official Make?  The support for windows paths is already
in official Make, and has been for some time.  It was just not turned on for the cygwin
build of make.   In the future it will be.

>If a working patch makes it into upstream, or is available for inclusion and is clean, w/o affecting anything else, then I have no doubt that cgf will consider including it in the next release, but if people had actually read the original release notes, then this would not be an issue.

The release notes said the feature was dropped, and to use mingw make.
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2006-07/msg00008.html
It did not say if you get the upstream make to add support then the
feature can be maintained.   It did say if you have questions or
comments send them to the cygwin mailing list.

>Also, Dave commented earlier on your email saying an email should have been sent to the list saying that these changes were going to happen.
>It was. It's called the 'release notes'. They go to cygwin-announce, if I recall correctly.. Maybe you should subscribe to this one?

My suggestion was, to send notice of the coming change before
the change was made, not after.  That is all.  IMO, the make issue
is over.  I was just trying to make a suggestion to avoid
flame wars like this in the future.  I don't think it is enjoyable
or productive for anyone involved.

-Bill