Re: question about cygwin softlinks and unix softlinks

Warren L Dodge wrote:
I am operating in a file server environment where the file server can be
accessed by both linux and windows.

I make a tree on this file server in linux which includes some soft links.

I then accessed this same tree via the windows system using cygwin.

What I found is that the unix soft links are sort of working. BASH can see
them for file completion, but I can't delete them or cd into the directory
that they point to.

I am not sure how this should work. It would be real nice if the unix soft links would work just like the cygwin soft links.

Yes it would. But it won't. They are two completely different things so as much as you might want them to, you can't expect UNIX/Linux symlinks to work the same in each other's environment. :-(

Holliston, MA 01746