Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 09:34:36AM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>At 05:02 PM 8/15/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Just to clarify, the whole point of your interest is to avoid telling
>>people that they should use the MinGW version of make with makefiles
>>that are intended for use MS-DOS-like applications, right?  If that
>>is the case, then it really seems like the path of least effort is
>>just to instruct people to use MinGW.
>
>Actually no, MinGW make is not working for what used to work with cygwin
>make.   It has a nasty habit of changing cl's command line arguments
>like /GZ into c:/msys/1.0/GZ.   If there is a sh.exe in the PATH.  So,
>I can get things to work, but you have to run from a MS Command prompt,
>and not from a cygwin shell, or an msys shell.   It kind of sucks.

Yes, I got it.  You don't like the change to make.

If you are having problems with MinGW's make then, presumably, you don't
have to grumble in the cygwin list about it.  I'll leave it to you where
you should be sending questions.

And, btw, this attitude, from a Cygwin maintainer is very much not
appreciated.

cgf