Re: Older postgresql versions [changed]

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, alecswan wrote:

Always install with 'setup.exe'.  Never "just unzip" a file if you don't
understand and/or aren't willing to endure the consequences.

I spent the whole day messing with cygwin time machine and also trying to

What specific problem did you have with the Cygwin Time Machine? The package you are looking for (postgresql-7.4.5-1) is located in many snapshots, ranging from 2004/08/26/093142 to 2006/07/23/184023.

install from a tarball. No luck at all. I can't even figure out how to
install from the tarball. Where do I enter the tarball location when running
setup.exe?

Setup only works with setup.ini. You can create a custom setup.ini in a custom built local install directory (this is what I do to test my own install packages). This isn't all that difficult to do, but it does take some attention to detail.

Then I tried to download PostgreSQL source and just build it on cygwin. And
of course I ran into linking errors and such.

I am so frustrated, that I'd be happy with any solution that will get old
postgres to work on cygwin.

The main problem with "old" packages running on a "newer" snapshot of cygwin is that, as things are fixed, invariably "old" things get broken and either need to be re-compiled with the newer environment or simply need to be upgraded to a newer release which fixes the specific incompatability. Such is the price of progress :)

Your options are:

1) Downgrade your entire cygwin environment to one which contains the
specific version of the package you need (and works!).  Since there is a
wide time-range for postgresql-7.4.5-1 (and not too far back-level for
Cygwin either), this should not be too difficult to do.  The Time Machine
can help with this.  Again, if you are having a problem with the Time
Machine, contact me off-list and I'll help you out.

2) Grab the source to the version you want and build it yourself.  As
you've already discovered, other linklibs or packages are needed for
this.  Suggest looking at the porting notes in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.5.README and
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.5/ for possible building details.

3) Forget about this version and upgrade to the latest version.  That
way, if it doesn't work, you can harass the maintainer to fix it :^)

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>