Re: Breach of GPL?

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 08:20:39PM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
>On 8/11/06, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 01:46:57PM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
>>>- They have some partial old version of Cygwin with Nios 5.0/6.0.  This
>>>causes havoc because Cygwin (sadly) does not support side-by-side
>>>installs.
>>
>>And, happily, it does not need to.  Just use the latest version of
>>Cygwin.  For what you are describing, you only need one Cygwin
>>installation on your system.
>
>Your position on this issue is famous. :-)

It's a little more than a position.  However, I won't go into the litany
of reasons why it's a bad idea (just like having multiple copies of
kernel32.dll or user32.dll is a bad idea*) since no one ever wants to
talk about those.

>Personally, I disagree. It think Cygwin should allow side-by-side installs.

Usually, people who think this is necessary are coming from a situation
where they haven't really thought about things too much but it just
seems to them like there should be no good reason why they can't have
multiple copies of the Cygwin DLL whereever they feel like putting them
since that seems to be what is most convenient.  Unfortunately, having a
strong desire for something without evincing a clear understanding of
the ramifications and tradeoffs doesn't translate into a strong
position for bringing about change.

I'm saying this not as a criticism of your one sentence above, since you
obviously aren't arguing for anything, just stating an opinion.
However, often, when this issue is raised, there are people who come out
of the woodwork to forcefully express their desires in long email
treatises which are big on "it seems to me" but short on technical
understanding.

FWIW it seems to *me* that situations like what has been foisted on you
by Altera couldn't be considered to be good for anyone.

cgf

*Sorry.  That was just one example, not a litany.