RE: ruby irb doesn't seem to work

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 11 August 2006 15:31, Will Parsons wrote:
>
> > Dave Korn wrote:

> >>   Looks lke you omitted to install the leading letter 'R'.
> >>
> >>  <ba-dyum-tissshhh!>
> >
> > Now what package is that in? ;-)

Why, the "r" package, of course.  However, it doesn't seem to be on most
mirrors, so those mirrors are probably broken...  Don't use them. :-)

> > Seriously, I think I've found the problem - I had an environment
> > variable
> >
> >   RUBYOPT=-rubygems
> >
> > Unsetting the variable seems to fix the problem.  Apparently, I'd
> > installed a non-Cygwin version of Ruby (which I didn't even remember
> > doing), and this interferes with the Cygwin version.
>
>   LOL, this happens so often and with so many languages it deserves an
> acronym.
>
>   TCOASSA!

And that would stand for?..

>   The missing R is still a clue though.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------<
> dk@rainbow /artimi/tools/linux> ruby --help
> Usage: ruby [switches] [--] [programfile] [arguments]
>    [ ... snip ... ]
>   -rlibrary       require the library, before executing your script
> ---------------------------------------------------<
>
>   So, I dunno if "RUBYOPT=-rrubygems" would work better.  Not without
> having rubygems installed, anyway, I don't suppose.  Or perhaps it's one
> of those awful puns like "-liberty".

It is, actually, FWICS.

>   Hmm.  It suggests here:
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2497&group_id=126&atid=576
> that it's actually the cygwin package that sets the RUBYOPT variable,
> even though it doesn't come with the rubygems library.  If so, that
> would be a packaging issue.  OTOH, a quick scan through the package
> listing for cygwin ruby doesn't show any postinstall script that could
> have done that, so I'm not so sure if the report is accurate: I think
> you've probably put your finger on it.

FWIW, a postinstall script cannot set an environment variable -- it would
have to be set in an /etc/profile.d script.  But you're right -- ruby
doesn't come with one (and I don't have RUBYOPT set, even though I have
the latest Cygwin ruby installed).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/