RE: Breach of GPL?

On 11 August 2006 12:47, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

> I was wondering if GPL can't come to the rescue here.
>
> I've had quite a bit of trouble with Nios 5.0/6.0 because:
>
> - Altera has not provided the complete source to the modified GCC that
> they have for their Nios2 toolchain. Some files are missing, others
> have been (intentially) moved, etc.

  They absolutely *must* give you the *exact* sources that were used to
compile the *exact* binaries that they are distributing.  Anything else is in
unambiguous violation of the GPL.

  They aren't actually obliged to ship them to you with the initial
distribution, but must offer to provide them on request, and if you ask them
they are legally obliged to comply.

> - They have some partial old version of Cygwin with Nios 5.0/6.0. This
> causes havoc because Cygwin (sadly) does not support side-by-side
> installs.

  (http://cygwin.com/acronyms#3PP.  Gah.)

  Well, then, they are *also* legally obliged to supply the *exact* sources of
the *exact* version of the cygwin dll they are distributing, and the same for
any cygwin packages they are shipping in their installation.

  Really, they'd find it a lot easier for both them and their users if they
told you to install up-to-date cygwin using setup.exe, or maintained a mirror
on their web site, and gave you the sources and scripts so you can recompile
your toolchain yourself.  As things stand, they appear to be in blatant and
repeated violation of the GPL, and the FSF's lawyers will take a very keen
interest in this matter.

  Your next step would be to try and contact Altera, *diplomatically*, to
explain to them that you need the sources, that you have a right to the
sources, that they have an obligation to give you the sources if you want, and
that you'd really like to work with them to help them solve their problems.
While you're doing that, you also want to get in touch with the gnu
gpl-violations mailing list, tell them there what's going on and ask if
they've already heard what Altera have been doing.

    cheers,
      DaveK