Re: line endings, file path names (was: Updated: sed-4.1.5-2)

On Aug  3 11:43, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >and I'm seriously contemplating (for years) to just remove textmode
> >from Cygwin.
>
> This is where I disagree completely. From "CRLF was a bad idea" does not
> follow "hence we should not support it". This would just be sticking your
> head in the sand. Bad idea or not, you, or rather a text processing tool
> like sed, cannot avoid being faced by millions of documents that use CRLF
> and a few with Mac line endings too. The realization that it was a bad idea
> does not make these go away.

So, since millions of users have DOS and Mac lineending files, every
system in the world has to support them?  You're out of luck.  Sed does
not support CRLF and CR line endings on POSIX systems.  It just has a
bad hack for Windows systems which is also enabled for Cygwin.  On other
systems you have to take the official route over dos2unix or recode or
whatever.  Oh well, the longer this discussion takes, the more I regret
my decision to revert sed to textmode.

Corinna

Red Hat