Re: 1.5.21-1 missing header file 'jpeglib'

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Susana Manrique de Lara Sanz wrote:

> Hi everybody,

Hi, Susana,

> I've installed Cygwin about 5 times because the "jpeglib.h" seems to be
> missing.

We don't know what packages you've installed, so can't say if this is a
problem with your installation or a more general one.  Please read and
follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, particularly the part about attaching
the output of "cygcheck -svr" (as an uncompressed text *attachment*).

> I install it from the internet and select all the packages needed. IN
> libs section I need libjpeg62, libpng12-devel, zlib, which all seem to
> be installed properly except from the first one.

What makes you believe that?  The contents of the libjpeg62 is a single
DLL, /usr/bin/cygjpeg-62.dll (which, BTW, is a compatibility DLL -- you
should be installing libjpeg6b for a more current one).  However, if you
select the right packages, libjpeg6b should be selected automatically for
you.

> I say this becasuse when I try to compile my project this message is
> shown: missing header file 'jpeglib.h'
> I've search for it and I can't find it anywhere, I thought it should be
> at /cygwin/usr/include/ as the other libs are but the libjpeg isn't
> there.

It's not a lib, it's an include file.  But yes, it's supposed to be under
/usr/include once you've installed the right packages.

> I've tried to reinstall the library from the setup.exe and also using
> different mirrors but nothing has changed.

Because you're reinstalling the wrong library.  Try "cygcheck -l
libjpeg62" to see the contents of that package on your system.

> The package has been downloaded but the setup process seem t forget to
> install it or something.
> Should I just untar the downloaded package to the /cygwin/usr/include/
> directory? if that's the correct directory to do that, which I'm not
> sure at all.

I doubt that setup "forgets" to install any package that was selected by
the user.  Try searching for the file you need on the Cygwin package
search page at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>, and then install that
package using setup.

> I'm new at cygwin and I don't know muach about unix like systems...

Plenty to learn, then... :-)
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if it's not there
to begin with.  --Confucius