Re: Why are Windows paths broken in make 3.81?

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Michael Hirsch wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Is it broken only on Windows?
> >
> > That sounds like a silly question... 'are Windows paths only broken on
> > Windows?'
>
> It sounds like a silly question, but it isn't.  I tested, and yes, if
> you have a directory named "c:" in Linux, make is broken on that
> directory, too.  Since "c:" is a valid name in Linux (and POSIX, I
> believe) I consider that a bug in make.  I'll have to report that to
> GNU, as it is not a cygwin issue.  The error message on Linux is just
> as incomprehensible as it is Cygwin, too, so at least I know who to
> talk to about it.

While ':' is a valid filename character on Linux (though not on all
filesystems, obviously), it is a special character in make.  So you need
to be careful when using it in Makefiles.  Just like '>' is a valid
filename character, but you would not expect to be able to use it unquoted
in your shell.

> > > Is this a cywin only bug?  What possible reason could there be to
> > > introduce this deliberately?
> >
> > No, as it is not a "bug". However it is specific to Cygwin. See the
> > aforementioned announcement. CGF would have to speak to "why" (and I
> > would appreciate if he would, just because I am curious :-)), but I
> > would guess it is to "encourage" people to use correct (i.e. POSIX)
> > paths.
>
> I guess that was the reason.  How disappointing.  I always thought
> that cygwin provided a great service by allowing me to use both
> windows and posix paths.  I'll miss that capability a lot.

I don't think any of the Cygwin package maintainers would deliberately
break existing functionality for some purist reasons.  Besides, there's no
need to guess.  CGF already stated the reason: maintaining a
Cygwin-specific patch to support this functionality has become too
cumbersome, and CGF decided that his volunteer effort is better spent
doing other, more important things for Cygwin.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/