Question on static Cygwin-hosted applications

Guys:

I'm in the odd place where I need a statically-linked GNU cross toolchain that runs under Win32. The idea is that I could then take my toolchain directory and move it over to another Win32 machine that doesn't have any special runtime environment previously installed and it Should Just Work.

My understanding of Cygwin is that this isn't possible, was never possible, won't ever be possible:

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg01150.html

... and I don't have a problem with that. Really. But as of today, is this still true?

Regards,

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff