RE: Why are Windows paths broken in make 3.81?

I think problem reports in itself are already useful so people can
search the mailing lists to see whether the type of problem they run
into is already reported. With some luck they can solve or workaround it
with the suggestions, but even if no solution or explanation is
available, it may save quite some effort while trying to figure out
whether the problem is just caused by yourself, e.g. by ignorance or
that other people ran into the same issue. (In this particular case,
someone could upgrade the Cygwin installation for a very different
reason and all of a sudden been bitten by the difference in make
behavior.)

was