Re: Cygwin services using uid 400, not SYSTEM. Why?

Shaddy Baddah wrote:
Hi again,

On 7/20/2006 1:30 AM, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
I'm so sorry I didn't pick up on this earlier. Thanks for your attention. If you have any ideas on the UID 400 problem, I'd still be very interested to hear what was happening on that.

One last bit of diagnosis. In my earlier email, I claimed that the displaying of UID 400 instead of SYSTEM was solved after running cygserver-config.

Well, I got a little muddled. I finally got back to the original system that I experienced the problem on (now perhaps not really so much a problem as I thought. I'll elaborate).

The attachment is a log of commands that I executed that highlights the problem very clearly. You will see that after running *exim-config* (not cygserver-config), the Cygwin services correctly display as uid SYSTEM, and not 400.

Looking at the exim-config script, I am totally bewildered how this could have had any effect on the problem. It looks quite tame (in terms of editing rights, etc...). Perhaps someone might have better insight into this.

I am now also not so sure that the processes showing UID 400 was really a problem in the first place. In my earlier email, inetd was not working because of an unrelated problem. I am actually trying to reproduce the problem now, and just ascertain if there was a *rights* problem associated, as it did very much appear to me to be earlier.

Only the SYSTEM user on <W2K3 systems has the permissions to switch user
contexts out-of-the-box.  On W2K3, SYSTEM doesn't have it either, which is
why the openssh package creates a sshd_server user on those platforms if
you run ssh-host-config and answer the questions truthfully. ;-)  400 is
not the UID for SYSTEM (at least not by default).  If you had inetd
running under user ID 400 and hadn't made changes yourself to ensure
that this UID mapped to the SYSTEM user's SID, none of the services running
under inetd would have permissions to switch users.  So while maybe this
wasn't the only component of your problem, it's certainly one big one.

Holliston, MA 01746