Re: query of installed apps on remote Winows

Richard Foulk wrote:
Anyone know how the control-panel->Add/Remove-Programs facility works?

Not particularly cygwin specific, and comprehensively covered at Microsofts site. Anyway, here's some basic info.

Each program needing an uninstall item has a key in:
/HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall

See
http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms709926.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247501

Is this something that might be supported by existing cygwin tools?

Personally, I'd leave installing/uninstalling of non-cygwin apps to windows. Can you imagine the queries coming to this list?
- I couldn't uninstall notepad!
- Executing random uninstaller broke my system! Why did cygwin allow that?

Dave.