Re: Accessing network drive with ssh

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Searching the mailing list archives or looking into the FAQ would have
been of some help.

Rather than let this extremely unhelpful reply be the last word, I'll relate my experience. I'm sorry, but it's nearly impossible to do web searches on this topic. I know, I spent weeks doing them.

The FAQ has zero useful information about this particular issue.
It should definitely be added.  The FAQ itself sorely needs to
be reorganized.  Too many things are covered under too broad of
topics.  It's very hard to find answers to specific questions.

Basically, you will not be able to access network drives
via /cygdrive or DOS-style drive letters when in an ssh
session.  For some reason "net use" gets very confused in
an ssh environment and the drive mapping just doesn't work.

But you can access them via the network path name (e.g.
//net-drive/<path>.

You'll have to set sshd to run under your user account.
If sshd runs as SYSTEM you'll get permission errors when
accessing network volumes that you own.  Run the Services
tool and edit the "LogOn" (under XP) properties of sshd to
set it to run under your account.

I believe that's all you need to do to get network drive
access from within an ssh session.  Too bad drive letters
don't work.

-Dave