Re: cygwin cpio with tape support?

On Jul  7 10:02, Beauchamp, Warren J (GE Comm Fin) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have poked around on the web trying to find this for a while and am
> out of luck.
>
> I have a DAT drive on a Win2000 server, have installed the latest build
> of cygwin(1.5.20), and am able to mount and access the DAT drive with mt
> and tar but not with cpio. There's a cpio archive on the tape I need to
> read. I have seen references to cygwin builds of cpio that contain tape
> support. Can you point me in the right direction for the current
> binaries?

Tape support is in Cygwin, transparent to applications.  tar or cpio
don't know anything about it.  The usual problem when accessing a tape
fails is the fact that the blocksize of the OS tape driver is not set to
the blocksize on the tape.  Either you know the blocksize on the tape
is, say, 120 bytes, in which case you set the OS tape driver to 120
bytes:

  $ mt setblk 120

or you don't know the block size on the tape in which case you set the
OS tape driver to variable block size:

  $ mt setblk 0

Corinna

Red Hat