Re: Using du.exe to calculate disk usage on a Microsoft cluster server

Will Beldman wrote:

>> On 03 July 2006 14:50, Will Beldman wrote:
>>
>> I need to determine disk usage for each directory on a Microsoft cluster
>> server. As a linux junkie, du is *the* tool for automating this kind of
>> stuff so I installed cygwin, mapped some drives and tried to schedule
>> the utility to run at night. However, I get a lot of errors thrown back
>> such as:
>> 1. "No such file or directory" - Which tends to appear on weird
>> filenames (like with spaces or ' or some other character) or when I
>> don't have permission to access the drive (but that's something I can fix)

>Without seeing your script and knowing the dir names in question, it's hard
> to say, but the obvious bet would be some kind of shell quoting/escaping bug
> in the way you invoke 'du'.
Right, I was sure of this. But how would I make du properly escape? I'm trying to run the utility on S:/*. I don't have a defined list of directories to run against.

Use POSIX paths (i.e. /cygdrive/s).  Here I think you've found an application
for 'find'.  How about something like:

find /cygdrive/s -maxdepth 1 -print0 | xargs -0 du

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746