Access to Network Drive under ssh

I know this subject has come up before but the most detailed
discussion I could find about the problem I'm having is here
http://erdelynet.com/archive/ssh-l/2002-12/0772.html
and this dates from Dec. 2002.

When I start a Cygwin xterm on the local machine, I can see
network drives just fine (these are Unix volumes mounted via
Samba):

$ net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

OK           H:        \\samba-drive\dag       Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

However, under ssh I am not so lucky:

$ net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

Unavailable  H:        \\samba-drive\dag       Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

Originally I was having problems accessing the network drive at
all under ssh but after some digging around with Google, I
learned that running ssh under the "dag" account allowed me to
get at the drives:

$ cd //samba-drive/dag

dag@dag-xp-pc //samba-drive/dag

However, I still can't access the drive via /cygdrive/h, where
it is mounted in the non-ssh session.

I tried to do a manual mount with no success:

$ net use H: \\samba-drive\dag
H: has a remembered connection to \\samba-drive\dag. Do you
want to overwrite the remembered connection? (Y/N) [Y]:
No valid response was provided.

The strange thing here is that "net use" didn't even wait
for me to answer the question.

I'd be fine accessing things though \\samba-drive\dag
except for one thing: djgpp.  For reasons that are too
long and complicated to get into, I have to build some
software using djgpp.  It doesn't like the \\ syntax for
things like include paths (e.g. -I\\samba-drive\dag\include
isn't recognized).  The _really_ strange thing is that in a
non-ssh session, I can have the pwd in
\\samba-drive\dag\some\source\directory and pass
-I../../include to djgpp and it works great.  But in ssh,
the same -I option doesn't work.  djgpp reports an
ENOENT trying to access files in the path.

My plan was to just use H:\include everywhere but I obviously
can't do that unless I can map the drive under ssh.

This is all very confusing. Any help?

Thanks.

-Dave