RE: vim 7 gives error when editing /etc/hosts

vim appears to be unable to follow some links.

The following steps lead to the above error for me, also.

$ touch "c:\foo.txt"
$ ln -s "c:\foo.txt" bar.txt
$ vim bar.txt  # vim reports the swap-file error

On my computer, and I suspect on yours, /etc/hosts is a
symbolic link to Windows 'hosts' file:

$  ls -ln /etc/hosts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 13558 545 37 Apr  4 18:11 /etc/hosts ->
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Curiously, the link does not cause an error if it was created using
"cygwin" syntax:

$ ln -fs /c/foo.txt bar.txt  # assumes that you've set the cygdrive
prefix to "/"
$ vim bar.txt   # No swap-file error is reported.

Until the problem code and its solution can be identified, you
should be able to use this workaround.

---