Re: sshd: fork of unprivileged child failed

--On 04 June 2006 18:18 -0400 "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" wrote:

Robin Walker wrote:
In the Windows Application Log there are, for each failed connection
attempt, entries of the form:

sshd: PID xxxx: fatal: fork of unprivileged child failed.

Did you try a recent snapshot?

If, by "snapshot", you mean System Restore Point, then the problems began too long ago for a restore point still to exist. I have been searching for solutions for some months already.

Please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found at:
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

I couldn't see anything there that addresses this problem. I included a cygcheck output in a previous post in this thread. I have already spent some months struggling with this before coming to this list, and Googled every likely search term. The searches show some other users had a similar problem, but cured it with a rebaseall. That worked once for me, but no longer.

Think about things that have changed about the time things stopped working
for you.  This includes things both a part of and external to Cygwin.

Most likely, it was a Cygwin update. sshd worked OK during most of 2005, but has not worked since I updated Cygwin early in 2006. I don't use ssh on a daily basis, and it took some time to notice that connections were failing.

Is there any way I can get a previous version of cygwin1.dll to check against?

--
Robin Walker (Junior Bursar), Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET, UK
rdhw@cam.ac.uk  http://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/  Tel:+44 1223 335528