RE: Can't run baseall

On 12 May 2006 14:59, Don Edvalson wrote:

>>> the wrong direction with rebase in the first place. I am still narrowing
>>> it down, but I found that two pieces of hardware I had added lately, a
>>> webcam and a Sprint Wireless network connection were running lots of
>>> processes all the time, even when that hardware was not installed or
>>> running. I believe the culprit is one of these. When I figure out
>>> exactly what process was causing this, I will let you know.
>>

>>   Webcam?  Webcam!  Did you say "webcam"?  Did you say *Logitech* webcam?
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-03/msg00173.html
>>
>> and subsequent thread....
>>

> That would appear to be exactly what I ran into. I now feel really
> stupid for not finding this before posting.

  Well, you shouldn't do!  Apart from the generic advice that when things
break in your system you should always suspect whatever you most recently
installed, there's no obvious clue that would lead you to suspect one of your
other pieces of software and indeed this is an unexpected and unlikely
interaction and really most likely indicates dubious software design on
Logitech's part.  We occasionally run up against bits of third-party software
that cause problems, but more commonly that's stuff like anti-virus and
firewall software that you could more-or-less expect to have system-wide
effects.  Glad it's all sorted out now!

    cheers,
      DaveK