Re: Windows 95 support ?

Dave Korn wrote:

>   You know, we may be barking up the wrong hippo here.  Perhaps it's now worth
> installing IE4 on the recalcitrant machine and see if having the whole package
> actually does make the difference or not; maybe there's *another* significant

I think it's entirely appropriate to require IE3 or IE4 installed as a
prerequsite for these ancient systems.  I see software requirements
listed as "windows 9x with IE5" all the time so we would hardly be
unique here.  Or put another way, you aren't going to be able to run
much of anything modern on a win95 system without IE3, so why should
Cygwin be any different.

> there's a difference there that matters.  I don't remember w95 all that well -
> does it install winsock and tcp/ip by default, or was it an optional component
> back then?

Win95 did include TCP/IP in the stock install, I am pretty sure.  It was
win 3.x where it was an optional component, and indeed I remember
running the third party shareware Trumpet Winsock back in the early days
of SLIP-based dialup networking precisely because the MS winsock was not
available for whatever reason.  Or maybe it was only included in Windows
for Workgroups which I didn't have, or something.

Thank Hippo those days are gone.

Brian