Fw: Installed cygwin fails to start.

I hope this is the right place for this question. I read all for the documentation on how and where to ask questions, but nothing actually gave an address.

1. I am running Windows XP - SP2
2. I installed cygwin from the Los Alamos site.
3. I received the Installation Complete message box.
4. I clicked on the Icon but cygwin did not come up.
5. I read the "Cygwin/X User's Guide, page 17 Chapter 4.
In c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin there was NO file by the name startxwin.bat.
I did find a file named 'run'.
6. I clicked on the file 'run' and received the following error on the screen.
"This application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
7. I found cygwin1.dll in c:\cygwin\bin. Where was run looking for this?
8. I re-installed two times, again from LANL and then from Texas Univ. with the same results.

A. Should I have a startxwin.bat file and where should it be? B. Where does startxwin.bat look for cygwin1.dll ?

I install this on two Windows NT laptops with no problems.

On my laptop, startxwin is a bat file, on the desktop, run is an exe file???

Any ideas?

Don Rowland
donhotrains@cinci.rr.com