File copying problem (ever-changing faked inode on network drive)

Hi,

I'm having the "cp: skipping file `/g/tmp/foo.bar', as it was replaced
while being copied" problem on a network drive, apparently due to the
ever-changing inode adventure. Samba 2.0.10 running under Redhat 7.1
kernel 2.4.17 on the file server; XP pro SP2 on the PC.  The output from
getvolinfo is:

rootdir: \\yaun\slinda\
Volume Name        : <.>
Serial Number      : 35588127
Max Filenamelength : 128
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags:
  FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
  FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
  FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : FALSE
  FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
  FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
  FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : FALSE
  FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE

We recently upgraded our PCs here, and in the process upgraded Cygwin.
The big puzzlement here is that I have this problem, but a colleague
with apparently the same configuration (same machine, software versions,
etc), mapping the same remote filesystem, does not have this problem
(imagine the theme music to Twilight Zone in the background here).

In my googling of this problem I haven't seen a solution offered.  What
should I do to remedy this?

I have used Cygwin for many years, and have come to depend heavily on it
in my work (many thanks for providing this valuable tool).

Help!

Steve

Stephen B. Linda
Assistant Statistician
Children's Oncology Group
Statistics and Data Center, Gainesville Office
104 N. Main Street, Suite 600
Gainesville, FL 32601-3330
(352) 273-0563
(352) 392-8162 - fax