1.15.19 dlopen() dies with no dlerror()

I've been using the following Makefile syntax with building cygwin
applications:

$(PROJ_DLL) $(PROJ_SAR): product_dirs $(PROJ_OBJS)
	$(CXX) $(LCXX_SARFLAGS) -Wl,--out-implib=$(PROJ_SAR) \
	-o $(PROJ_DLL) $(PROJ_OBJS) $(LCXXFLAGS)

This is exactly what is in the cygwin documentation, but generalized
for Makefiles.  It has succesfully generated executables since way
back, and was still working for cygwin 1.15.18-3, however since I've
upgraded to 1.15.19-4 it fails.

The behavior is this:
Output from compile and build steps produce the expected linking
messages.  No apparent errors.

However, applications die at dlopen.

Example (1):
importing a shared library (journal) through python
 $ python -v
 >>> import journal
 import journal # directory /home/mmckerns/tools/.../journal
 dlopen("/home/mmckerns/tools/.../_journalmodule.dll", 2);

python dies here, and exits with no error.
That lead me to writing a little test script to check the
behavior of the .dll in C (without python).

Example (2):
testing a shared library (journal) with dlopen & dlerror
 $ ./dlopen.exe
 .dll TEST...

the executable dies here, and exits with no error or print
(please see attached dlopen.c)

I have a feeling that this might be related to previous reports
(such as http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00073.html
 and http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00036.html),
but I am not sure.

---