Re: output from shell call shows up in original cygwin window instead of current terminal

Terrence Brannon wrote:

>  the Password prompt does not show up in the xterm window, but in the
> original cygwin shell.
>
> FTP works fine from plain DOS cmd.exe and from the original cygwin
> shell, but I get this odd behavior when using an xterm... any idea why?

You are most likely using the version of ftp.exe provided by Windows.
(It depends on your setting of PATH and whether you've installed the
inetutils package -- if you had included your cygcheck output as
requested we wouldn't have to guess about these sort of things.)

When you run a program in xterm or rxvt (or in a standard windows
console with $CYGWIN=tty) then you are using pseudoterminal emulation.
Native windows applications don't know what ptys are because they are a
unix/posix concept, thus running interactive non-Cygwin apps in ptys
often results in behavior like you saw.

Install inetutils and use the Cygwin version of ftp.

Brian