Re: CreateFileAndSetSecurity error

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Gary Heinz wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I ran across your thread 'Cygwin 1.5.18-1 on Windows XP group and
> passwd problem' by googling for this error message.  Yours is still the
> only google hit.
>
> I'm wondering if you found a resolution.  I am seeing this same error on
> all new XP installations not only when using cygwin but also when using
> MKS Toolkit, which is another 'unix-like' toolset;  so it's coming from
> somewhere in XP or its patches.
>
> I realize 3 months have transpired since your thread, but I'd appreciate
> learning what if anything you found out.

Gary,

It's usually not a good idea to send messages to individual people from
the Cygwin list -- see <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE> for a list of
reasons.  Frankly, I've never experienced the above problem, and only
replied to someone with a guess that this was not Cygwin-related.  Your
message confirms my guess that the problem has little to do with Cygwin
itself (as you also observe this with MKS).

I usually redirect messages of this sort to the Cygwin list.  FWIW, beyond
stating that it's not a Cygwin problem (which I already did above), this
thread of discussion will be deemed off-topic on the list.  However, some
people might be able to point you to a better forum for asking about this.
There may also be something in the SysInternals suite that would help you
track this down.  It might also be worth posting this to the cygwin-talk
list -- if you're lucky, you might get a bit of useful information.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"