Re: Automated Setup

On 3/24/06, Capaci, Christopher wrote:
> I'm trying to automate the setup of cygwin so that the same exact setup
> is reproducible on many different machines. I found some command line
> arguments to setup.exe that should help. -q runs through the whole
> process without any input. To use that I'll need to use -R to set the
> root, which works, and -L to set the local package directory I want to
> use. This is where I'm having a problem. No matter what I put after -L,
> it uses C:\WINDOWS as the local package directory. Is this the expected
> behavior of the -L option? It seems as though you should be able to
> specify the location you want to use. Also, is there any argument to set
> the text file type automatically? Thanks a lot.

The -L option is "do a local install". To set the local package directory, use
something like "-l x:\cygwin-local\" so your full command is

setup.exe -q -L -l x:\cygwin-local\

Also the local package directory needs to exist and be full of packages
already, run through setup.exe manually once to create it and put it on
a network share, or run setup.exe from that location with something like

setup.exe -q -R c:\cygwin -s MIRROR

Where MIRROR is one listed at http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html
(If you want to specify packages, you can use the patched setup from
http://staff.washington.edu/joshuadf/cygwin/ or create a custom setup.ini
file.)

By the way, the full listing of setup.exe options can be dumped into the
setup.log file by running "setup.exe --help":

Command Line Options:
 -D --download                          Download from internet
 -L --local-install                     Install from local directory
 -s --site                              Download site
 -R --root                              Root installation directory
 -q --quiet-mode                        Unattended setup mode
 -h --help                              print help
 -l --local-package-dir                 Local package directory
 -r --no-replaceonreboot                Disable replacing in-use files on next
                                        reboot.
 -n --no-shortcuts                      Disable creation of desktop and start
                                        menu shortcuts
 -N --no-startmenu                      Disable creation of start menu shortcut
 -d --no-desktop                        Disable creation of desktop shortcut
 -A --disable-buggy-antivirus           Disable known or suspected buggy anti
                                        virus software packages during
                                        execution.