Re: Why only 1 cygwin1.dll?

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:40:51PM -0500, Bob Rossi wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:38:53PM -0500, Lev Bishop wrote:
>> FAQ candidate? Either of Eric's explanations seem spot on, to me. And
>> this question does come up fairly regularly.
>
>In the FAQ, I think it would be a good idea to mention that this
>limitation makes it impossible (outside of setup.exe) to package an
>application based on Cygwin and guarantee that it runs on the host
>machine. That is, it's impossible to determine if the cygwin1.dll is
>already on the machine.

It is certainly not impossible.

We support the cygwin release here.  That does not preclude (except for
lack of interest apparently) someone providing providing a nifty tool
for determining if/when to install a 3PP cygwin DLL but we all know that
anyone who wants that automatically is only able to complain about the
lack of such a tool.  It's been a given for years in this mailing list
and I doubt that it will change anytime soon.  The best that people seem
to be able to do is complain about how much they want to do this here
and predict the death of cygwin if something isn't changed to
accommodate their desires.

cgf