Re: problems running mmv on cygwin

on Thursday 03/23/2006 Igor Peshansky(pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu) wrote
 > Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.
 >
 > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, John covici wrote:
 >
 > > on Thursday 03/23/2006 Igor Peshansky(pechtcha@XX.XXX.XXX) wrote
 >
 > <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.
 >
 > >  > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, John Covici wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > > Hi.  I just installed cygwin and I wanted to compile and run mmv.  I
 > >  > > got the source and ran the Makefile -- there was no configure script.
 > >  > > When I try to start the program I get the Microsoft dialog about
 > >  > > sending an error report.  Looks like the offset was 10000 and the
 > >  > > error was0xc0000005.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > I can send a cygcheck if desired.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Any assistance would be appreciated.
 > >  >
 > >  > You should really be asking the suppliers of mmv, but error 0xc0000005
 > >  > ("the application could not be initialized properly") is usually
 > >  > indicative of the missing execute permission on some DLL.  Make sure you
 > >  > "chmod a+x" all the DLLs that are produced by the build.
 > >  > FWIW, "gcc -shared" marks DLLs as executable, so there must be some other
 > >  > piece of code (e.g., "install -m 0644" in the Makefile) that changes the
 > >  > permissions.
 > >  > 	Igor
 > >
 > > Well, the problem is that no dll's are produced at all -- after all
 > > this is just C code.  Here is the Makefile if that is any help.
 > >
 > > Thanks.
 > >
 > > # Possible defines in CONF:
 > > #	IS_MSDOS IS_SYSV IS_V7 IS_BSD HAS_DIRENT HAS_RENAME MV_DIR
 > >
 > > CC		=gcc
 > > LD		=$(CC)
 > > CONF		=-DIS_SYSV -DHAS_DIRENT -DHAS_RENAME
 > > CFLAGS		=-O2 $(CONF)
 > > LDFLAGS		=-s -N
 > >
 > > #IBIN		=$(LOCAL)$(ARCH)/bin
 > > #IMAN		=$(LOCAL)$(ANY)/man
 > > IBIN=$(DESTDIR)/usr/bin/
 > > IMAN=$(DESTDIR)/usr/man/
 > >
 > > mmv:		mmv.o
 > >
 > > clean:
 > > 	rm -f mmv mmv.o
 > >
 > > install:	$(DEST)$(IBIN)/mmv
 > > install:	$(DEST)$(IMAN)/man1/mmv.1
 > >
 > > $(DEST)$(IBIN)/mmv:		mmv;	cp $? $@
 > > $(DEST)$(IMAN)/man1/mmv.1:	mmv.1;	cp $? $@
 >
 > Hmm...  The Makefile looks fine (more or less).  The only possible problem
 > might be that the "cp" command in the install step strips away the execute
 > permission from the executable, so that's one thing to check...
 >
 > Another possibility is that one of the DLLs that mmv needs is
 > inaccessible.  What does the output of "cygcheck mmv.exe" show?
 > 	Igor

Permissions are OK, I ran it out of its source directory and still got
the same result.  I do note that I have the mingw stuff installed, and
if I just execute mmv I get the wrong one instead, but I did it
directly and still got the same result.

.\mmv.exe
  c:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL