Re: Starting gvim from Windows

Hello,

* On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 09:38:19AM -0500, Neil Watson <cygwin@watson-wilson.ca> wrote:
> >I don't use X.  I just use RXVT windows on top of the Windows
> >Desktop.  I don't use Cygwin's version of Gvim.  I use the Windows
> >version.  To use Gvim from Cygwin, I have a small script (attached)
> >that converts Cygwin paths to Windows paths and then launches Gvim.

(In case you wish to not convert arguments that are not paths, check at
cyg-wrapper.sh that I'm maintaining, see my signature)

> >With this setup, I can use a single version of Gvim from both Windows
> >and Cygwin.
>
> I've tried this in the past.  The problem I found was that Windows VIM
> required a different vimrc syntax then the Unix VIM.  I was hoping to
> avoid keeping two copies of my growing and changing vimrc file.

I have only one .vimrc that is use for windows, Linux and Solaris.
Actually,
- under windows I have a _vimrc files that sources vimrc_core.vim plus
  a _vimrc_win for windows specific settings (fonts, mappings to open
  URL in the default browser, ...)
- under *nix, I have a .vimrc that also sources vimrc_core.vim plus a
  _vimrc_nix for *nix specific settings (key rebindings (that will be
  updated soon thanks to feddback from vim-ml), ...)

I've never used cygwin-version of vim, but it should not be any
different.

--
Luc Hermitte
http://hermitte.free.fr/cygwin/